Foreign Diploma and Credit Recognition Certificates

The United States is a federal republic with a decentralized system of education. Degree, diploma, and credit recognition are not performed or regulated by the federal government. Recognition is not usually done by state or local governments, either, except in the case of professional licensure. Instead, the federal government and other levels of government rely on, and recognize, the evaluations of foreign academic, professional, and vocational credentials performed by the delegated competent authorities at the institutional level and in the private sector.

Regulation of Professions provides information and links regarding qualifying and becoming licensed to practice regulated occupations, which is a state-level responsibility.

For purposes other than enrolling as a student or working in a regulated profession, the competent authority is the hiring employer.

Credential Evaluation Certificates

Not all U.S. institutions, employers, and licensing authorities perform evaluations of non-U.S. diplomas, credits, or qualifications. In many cases this work is delegated to private credential evaluation and the resulting evaluations are recognized as valid.

If you are told that you need to have your academic or professional qualifications evaluated by someone other than the institution, employer, or licensing authority to which you are applying, IEM provides credential evaluation certificates to institutions and individuals.

The U.S. government does not recommend or endorse any individual credential evaluation, and does not conduct evaluations or make recognition decisions.

Need more information? Click here for Frequently Asked Questions

Click Here to Order The IEM Report

Copyright 2001 IEM. All rights reserved